Alive and Kicking - Nairobi
Using football coaching to improve mental health education
Creating ethical jobs, donating sports balls and delivering vital health education in sub-Saharan Africa
Alive and Kicking (A+K) are the world’s only not-for-profit ball manufacturer. Through their centres they:
- Make - manufacture sports balls, creating hundreds of ethical jobs across sub-Saharan Africa for adults facing economic and social disadvantage.
- Play - give young people access to sport and donate A+K sports balls around the world.
- Live - enable thousands of young people to live happy and healthy lives by delivering vital heatlh education through sport.
A+K have a rich history of delivering effective health education programmes through their local partner network. Historically they have focussed on HIV and Malaria based education, however in a consultation with over 850 stakeholders in 2018, 87% of respondents identified mental health as a priority area that wasn’t being addressed.
The Mental Health Education programme was therefore designed to increase knowledge about mental health issues and improve attitudes and behaviour associated with mental health (eg. reduce stigma). Following a pilot with Arsenal FC in 2019, this project will train 25 football coaches to deliver vital mental health education directly through football coaching to young people in communities facingeconomic and social disadvantage. The project will:
- train 25 mental health educators
- reach 2450 young people each week at football sessions
- deliver 1000 mental health education sessions