Devices for disadvantaged children struggling during the Covid-19 – UK

Charity:
Beckmead Trust

The Beckmead Trust believes that every young person has the right to the best possible education and a chance to succeed.

Country

UK

Start Year:

2020

Run Time:

1 year

Participant Age:

11-16 years

Which UN SDGs?

Please select listing to show.

What is Co-Funding?

Co-funding with the ALMT allows individuals, other Trusts and Foundations, and Companies to contribute funds directly to individual, vetted and approved, project partnerships. With fifteen years of experience awarding grants and working in partnership with children’s organisations around the world, the ALMT is best placed to support you in your philanthropy.

The Beckmead Trust manage a number of government funded, non-profit schools that work with children and young people identified as having social, emotional and/or mental health issues (SEMH) and/or autism and challenging behaviour. Almost all the young people are in receipt of an Education Health and Care Plan to support their additional needs. Children attending Beckmead Trust schools were experiencing emotional and cognitive damage from being away from school during the first covid-19 lockdown in the UK.

 

For many young people, particularly those with challenging behavioural needs, the continued school closures had already led to social and academic regression.  Many of these young people were living in poverty and families were unable to provide the equipment needed to support their learning. This proposal supported the distribution of 250 Chromebooks to partner Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) identified by Beckmead Trust. Devices were only distributed to PRUs where The Beckmead Trust were confident that the leadership and values within those organisations supported appropriate usage and safeguarding requirements for young people. The Beckmead Trust identified Pupil PRUs in Lowestoft, Manchester, Gosport, Croydon, Lewisham and Essex. This proposal funded 75% of the cost of the Chromebooks with PRUs paying the remaining 25%. The machines the became the property of the PRUs and were entered onto their inventories.

Related Projects

Miracles supports children and their families living in poverty, referred to the project by hospitals and hospices. All are facing crises, many with children suffering serious illness.

Early Childhood Development of vulnerable children in remote areas of South Africa by working in partnership with communities.

Letterbox Parcels for children in care delivered in person by a Coordinator to support and improve their literacy and numeracy.

Working in four rural villages in Ntcheu District, Malawi, Future4All seeks to provide sustainable socio-economic empowerment, provision of secondary school scholarships and improvement of Early Child Development services for 200 households affected by HIV & AIDS.