Epic Partners - UK - 2020
Every Child a Swimmer
Epic is a community based charity that uses support, networks and diversionary activities to enrich the lives of children, young people and families.
Years: 2020, 2021
Epic Partners has previously partnered with Speedo, ALMT, RLSS and Bluebell Hill Primary School to run the Every Child A Swimmer-Drowning Prevention project. Now in its 5th year, the ECAS programme continues to offer children in St Ann’s and Sneinton (one of Nottingham’s most deprived areas) the opportunity to learn to swim. Since 2016 the number of accidental deaths by drowning has reduced by 25% showing that programmes like this are having a national impact.
EPIC Partners is an experienced education-led partnership with an excellent track record of delivering high quality learning opportunities and support for children, families and their schools. They work closely with local people and organisations to tackle the issues faced by families, particularly those living in deprivation.
During 2020-21 the project will:
- Enable 120 children and parents to enjoy swimming sessions together.
- Reduce incidences of drowning in the area by training 30 parents in how to ‘Save a Baby’s Life’and running ‘Drowning Prevention’ sessions with 240 children in schools.
- Reduce the fear of water for 240 children and young people.
- Improve swimming ability and enjoyment for children in St Ann’s and Sneinton by running holiday camps for 350 children.
- Increase awareness of water safety and rescue skills by running Rookie Lifeguard training for 16 young people and training 1 level 2 Swimming Teacher.